The ancient town of Hoi An in central Vietnam is a top destination for travelers seeking a unique blend of cultural heritage, natural beauty, and modern comforts. Known for its well-preserved Ancient Town with buildings dating back to the 15th-19th centuries, Hoi An charms visitors with its colorful lanterns, pedestrian-only streets, centuries-old temples, and a laidback riverside vibe.
The atmospheric streets of Hoi An Ancient Town transport visitors back through centuries of Vietnamese history. This port town located on Vietnam’s central coast has captivated travelers since the 1990s, when it was named a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Hoi An’s Old Town (also called Ancient Town) exemplifies a Southeast Asian trading port from the 15th to 19th centuries. The area’s narrow lanes, old temples, historic houses, and charming footbridges across canals offer rare insight into Vietnam’s past.
Well-preserved architecture reflects Hoi An’s history as an important port along the spice trade route from the 15th-18th centuries. Buildings blend Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and European influences into a unique aesthetic. Must-see landmarks include the iconic Japanese Covered Bridge with its pagoda-style roof.
Hoi An also charms visitors with its lovely riverside setting, colorful silk lanterns, and lively food scene. Local restaurants, cafes, and night market stalls are perfect place for sampling regional specialties, especially the town’s famous cao lầu noodle dish.
By wandering Hoi An’s pedestrian-friendly streets past old temples, shop houses, and creative boutiques, you can glimpse life in centuries past. This remarkably intact window into Vietnam’s heritage makes Hoi An one of the country’s most atmospheric destinations.
Beyond the atmospheric Ancient Town, Hoi An offers easy access to lovely beaches, bustling night markets, rice paddies, and historic sites. With its central location on Vietnam’s coast, Hoi An also makes a convenient base to explore nearby cities like Da nang (nearest airport) and Hue.
Choosing the right hotel is key to an unforgettable Hoi An getaway. Luxury hotels in Hoi An range from intimate boutique stays to resorts with every amenity. This list highlights the top 10 luxury hotels for service, amenities such as outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre, free bikes, hot tub, air conditioning, flat-screen tv, room service, private bathroom, free private parking, free wifi access, location, great value and that certain wow factor that makes for an indulgent Hoi An vacation.
Here are some additional interesting details about Hoi An, Vietnam:
- Hoi An was a major international trading port from the 15th-19th centuries due to its location on the Thu Bon River and East Sea. Goods like silk, ceramics, and spices were bought and sold there.
- The town is known for its well-preserved Ancient Town quarter, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. Buildings display a blend of Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and French influences.
- Traditional houses in Hoi An often feature ornate carved wooden doors and shutters, open-air courtyards, and long narrow storefronts. Some homes are over 200 years old.
- The iconic Japanese Covered Bridge dates back to the 18th century and features a Buddhist temple on one side. It’s one of Hoi An’s most photographed landmarks.
- Hoi An is especially atmospheric in the evening when the Old Town’s silk lanterns are lit up and river cruises drift by. Romantic restaurants line the riverbanks.
- Local specialties include cao lầu noodles, white rose dumplings, fried wontons, chicken rice, ‘bia hơi’ (fresh beer), and banh bao vac banh vạc (fried dumplings).
- The area around Hoi An is known for craft villages specializing in ceramics, woodwork, bronze casting, and lantern making. Visitors can take workshops.
- Hoi An has lovely beaches like Cua Dai Beach and An Bang Beach that are popular for swimming, lounging, watersports, and enjoying fresh seafood.
How We Chose the Best Luxury Hotels in Hoi An
We evaluated Hoi An’s best hotels based on:
- Guest ratings and reviews on trusted travel sites like TripAdvisor and Booking.com. Hotels with consistently excellent feedback for service, cleanliness, and facilities ranked higher.
- Premium amenities like outdoor pools, fine dining, spas, fitness centers, rooftop bars, and kid-friendly services.
- Proximity to top attractions like the Ancient Town, An Bang Beach, Cua Dai Beach, and other sights. Hotels within walking distance, short walk or a quick drive ranked better.
- Unique features like private villas, beach access, historic architecture, cooking classes, and cultural experiences.
Top 10 Best Luxury Hotels in Hoi An, Vietnam for 2023
1. Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An
As the premier luxury resort in Hoi An, the Four Seasons Nam Hai impresses guests with its tranquil beachfront setting, boutique villa accommodations, and stellar service. Occupying a prime stretch of Ha My Beach about 10 minutes’ drive from Ancient Town, the resort feels worlds away with its three outdoor swimming pools, tropical gardens, and palm-lined paths between villas.
- Elegant one to five-bedroom villas, many with private plunge pools
- Three outdoor pools surrounded by lush gardens and beautiful gardens
- Heavenly spa with 11 treatment rooms
- World-class dining at 2 restaurants and 3 bars
- This premier beachfront resort has its own private beach area stretching 1 km of Ha My Beach, with lounge chairs, umbrellas, food and drink service, and views of the East Sea.
- Free shuttle service to Hoi An Ancient Town
The resort’s villas blend contemporary design with indigenous materials like woven bamboo walls and Bat Trang ceramic tiles in the bathrooms. With outdoor garden showers, oversized soaking tubs, 24-hour butler service in some villas, and beach views from private patios, the accommodation provides luxury indulgence. Guests have access to complimentary bicycles and cultural activities like lantern making, Vietnamese cuisine classes, and tours of Hoi An’s famed tailors.
2. Anantara Hoi An Resort
Set along the Thu Bon River across from the Ancient Town, Anantara Hoi An Resort provides a picturesque retreat just steps from all the local sights. The resort’s riverfront location allows easy exploration of Hoi An’s historic houses, pagodas, bridges, and museums on foot.
- Ideal riverfront location in Hoi An Ancient Town
- 94 spacious rooms and suites with river or garden views
- L’Anmien spa with 5 treatment rooms
- Riverside restaurant Lanterns for Vietnamese and international cuisine
- Infinity pool surrounded by tropical gardens
- Complimentary shuttle service into town
Guest rooms blend modern comforts like rainfall showers and WiFi with Vietnamese touches like lantern lighting and local artwork. Some suites add extras like private plunge pools, sundecks, and separate living areas. Onsite dining options include Vietnamese specialties at Lanterns Restaurant and international fare at Reflections Pool Bar. The infinity pool, Anantara Spa, and fitness center provide relaxing ways to spend time at the resort when not exploring Hoi An’s sights.
3. Almanity Hoi An Wellness Resort
For travelers seeking a wellness retreat in Hoi An, Almanity Hoi An impresses with its tranquil setting, yoga classes, spa treatments, and healthy dining options. Tucked along the Thu Bon River around 4 km from Ancient Town, the resort focuses on rejuvenation through its Saltwater Pool, Tai Chi garden, and surrounding rice paddies.
- Spacious villas with outdoor soaking tubs
- Saltwater swimming pool
- Yoga pavilion for daily classes
- Luxurious spa with 6 treatment rooms
- Healthy dining at The Refectory Bistro & Terrace
- Free scheduled shuttle service into Hoi An
The villas exude simple luxury with hardwood floors, four-poster beds, and private outdoor decks. The resort provides bikes for exploring Hoi An Ancient Town and surrounding villages. After sightseeing, return for a spa treatment, relax in the open-air yoga pavilion, or take a dip in the saltwater pool said to have healing properties. The onsite restaurant serves nutritious, locally-sourced cuisine.
4. Little Riverside Hoi An Hotel & Spa
For a boutique hotel experience in the heart of Hoi An, Little Riverside charms guests with its colorful lanterns, rooftop restaurant, and riverside location just 80 meters from the Japanese Bridge. The hotel offers 20 rooms and suites plus amenities like an outdoor pool, bar, and spa.
- Prime spot near the Japanese Bridge
- Rooftop restaurant with river views
- Outdoor pool and bar
- Luxurious spa with private treatment rooms
- Free bicycles to explore Hoi An
- Airport transfers available
Rooms feature handcrafted wooden furniture, modern amenities like flat-screen TVs, and balconies overlooking the river or a quiet courtyard. The hotel’s central location near the historic Japanese Bridge spanning Hoai River allows easy access to all of Ancient Town’s attractions. Unwind in the spa, take a dip in the pool, or enjoy cocktails on the rooftop Deck Bar.
5. Allegro Hoi An
For families visiting Hoi An, the Allegro Hoi An offers spacious two-bedroom suites plus a long list of amenities catering to kids and teens. Located across the Thu Bon River from Ancient Town, the resort provides easy access to Hoi An’s cultural attractions.
- Two-bedroom family suites with kitchenettes
- Multiple swimming pools
- Waterslide and games room for kids
- Babysitting services available
- Family-friendly dining options
- Complimentary shuttle to Ancient Town
Family suites come with two bedrooms, a living room, kitchenette, and private balcony or terrace, providing plenty of space for parents and kids to spread out. The resort’s three outdoor pools, waterslide, games room, and mini-golf course keep kids entertained for hours. Parents can visit the spa or unwind with a drink at Allegro Bar. The resort’s restaurants serve Italian, Vietnamese, and international food appealing to all ages.
6. Silk Marina Beach Resort & Spa
For a beachfront luxury stay in Hoi An, Silk Marina Beach Resort & Spa impresses guests with its beach access, extensive amenities, and dining options. Located on a stretch of Cua Dai Beach about 4 km from Ancient Town, the resort provides complimentary bicycles and shuttle service for exploring Hoi An.
- Beachfront location on Cua Dai Beach
- 4 restaurants and 2 bars onsite
- Free-form outdoor pool
- Spa with sauna and massage treatments
- Fitness center and yoga classes
- Kid’s club and babysitting services
The 205 guestrooms include beachfront villas and rooms with furnished balconies overlooking Cua Dai Beach’s golden sands. Onsite dining ranges from fine Italian at Luna D’Autunno to seafood at The Sands Restaurant & Beach Club. Relax in the outdoor pool or book a massage at the resort’s spa. Complimentary activities like yoga and bike tours add to the value.
7. Hoi An Beach Resort
Set on a pristine stretch of Cua Dai Beach, Hoi An Beach Resort delights guests with beachfront villas, tropical gardens, and a large lagoon pool. The resort provides an idyllic seaside escape just 10 minutes’ drive from charming Ancient Town.
- Beachfront location with swaying palm trees
- Tranquil lagoon-style swimming pool
- Spa surrounded by lush gardens
- 4 restaurants including seaside BBQ
- Activities like free yoga, bicycles, and tours
- Free shuttle service to Hoi An center
The resort’s rooms and private villas include terraces or outdoor space to enjoy the beachfront setting. Upgrade to a villa for extras like a private plunge pool. Onsite dining options range from La Taverna wine bar to Market Restaurant & Terrace specializing in seafood. Relax by the 450-square meter pool, get pampered at the spa, or join a complimentary yoga class. The resort also offers electric bikes and shuttle service into Hoi An.
8. Palm Garden Beach Resort & Spa
Travelers seeking a peaceful beach getaway near Hoi An should consider Palm Garden Beach Resort & Spa, set along a tranquil stretch of Cua Dai Beach around 4 km from town. The resort’s villas, tropical gardens, spa, and beach access provide a serene escape.
- Beachfront setting with swaying palms
- Private villas with outdoor tubs
- Outdoor pool surrounded by foliage
- Full-service spa right on the beach
- Watersports and beach activities
- Free scheduled shuttle to Hoi An
The villas and rooms contain amenities like rainfall showers, deep-soaking tubs, and furnished balconies just steps from the beach. Upgrade to a beachfront villa for direct ocean access. When not enjoying the beach, browse shops at the resort’s artisan village, get active with watersports, or indulge in a massage at the Divana Spa. Dining options include fresh seafood and Vietnamese specialties. Shuttle service provides easy access to Hoi An’s sights.
9. The Island Lodge Hoi An
For an eco-friendly hotel near Hoi An, The Island Lodge Hoi An earns rave reviews for its sustainable design, solar panels, lush grounds, and riverside setting. Located across from Ancient Town, the lodge offers 32 bungalows immersed in nature.
- Riverfront setting in natural surroundings
- Sustainable design with solar power
- Outdoor pool surrounded by greenery
- Spa with massages and herbal treatments
- Vietnamese and Western cuisine at Peacock Restaurant
- Free bicycle use into Hoi An center
The thatched roof bungalows contain sustainable materials like bamboo, natural fibers, and local stones. Each one has a private patio surrounded by tropical plants and flowers. The eco-friendly resort uses solar panels, practices water conservation, and champions local community initiatives. Unwind in the chlorine-free pool, book a massage at Le Spa, or take a free bike to explore Hoi An town.
10. Mia Hoi An Boutique Resort & Spa
For a peaceful stay in Hoi An, Mia Hoi An Boutique Resort & Spa provides a serene escape on the Thu Bon River around 3 km from Ancient Town. Set amid lush gardens, the hotel offers stylish rooms and villas, lovely pools, and a spa.
- Tranquil setting on the Thu Bon River
- Outdoor and indoor pools surrounded by greenery
- Stylish rooms and villas with floral motifs
- Full-service spa and fitness center
- Complimentary shuttle service into Hoi An
- Free bicycles to use during stay
The 102 accommodations include Garden View and River View rooms along with Pool Villas with private plunge pools. Vietnamese artisans crafted the handmade tiles, silk lanterns, and other decorative details. Unwind in the spa, indoor pool, or riverside restaurantLanterns over a healthy Vietnamese meal. The resort provides complimentary bikes and shuttle service to explore picturesque Hoi An town.
Other excellent luxury hotels in Hoi An just missing our top 10 include:
- Little Hoi An Boutique Hotel & Spa – Intimate 16-room hotel in a 200-year-old building near the Japanese Bridge. Offers a rooftop pool bar.
- Vinh Hung Emerald Resort – Beachfront resort on Cua Dai Beach with villas, infinity pool, and dedicated kids’ pool.
- La Siesta Hoi An Resort & Spa – Boasts an excellent location right in Hoi An Ancient Town across from the Japanese Bridge.
Booking Tips for the Best Rates
Aim to book at least 2-3 months in advance for the best rates and availability at top luxury hotels in Hoi An. The high season runs from July through August, when hotel prices are often 20-30% higher. For lower rates and smaller crowds, visit during the shoulder months of May/June and September/October.
Booking directly through the hotel website often provides the best rates and perks like free breakfast or room upgrades. Check sites like Booking.com for deals, then cross-reference with the hotel site. Joining hotel loyalty programs can also unlock discounts and extras.
Avoid visiting during Tet, the Vietnamese New Year holiday in January/February, when hotel rates soar and streets are far more crowded. Early December is another busy time when Hoi An hosts the annual Silk Lantern Festival with inflated pricing.
Nearby Attractions to Experience from Each Hotel
Most top hotels in Hoi An provide easy access to the atmospheric Ancient Town, beaches, historic monuments, and surrounding countryside. Here are some top attractions reachable from each hotel:
Four Seasons Nam Hai – Hoi An Ancient Town, My Son Ruins, Cu Lao Cham island, An Bang Beach
Anantara Hoi An – Japanese Bridge, Assembly Hall of the Cantonese Chinese Congregation, Tan Ky House, Museum of Trade Ceramics
Almanity Hoi An – Tra Que Vegetable Village, Thanh Ha Pottery Village, Kim Bong Carpentry Village
Little Riverside – Japanese Bridge, Museum of Folklore in Hoi An, Phung Hung Old House, shuttles to An Bang Beach
Allegro Hoi An – Marble Mountains, My Son Ruins, Ba Na Hills, Golden Bridge in Danang
Silk Marina – Cua Dai Beach water sports, Hoi An Farmer’s Market, Tra Que Vegetable Village
Hoi An Beach Resort – An Bang Beach, Hoi An Ancient Town, Bang River boat tours
Palm Garden – Cua Dai Beach activities, Hoi An Memories theater show, Bale Wellness Center
The Island Lodge – Hoi An lantern workshops, historic temples, Kim Bong Carpentry Village
Mia Hoi An – Pottery workshops in Thanh Ha, Hoi An market, Cu Lao Cham day trip
Enjoy a Luxury Stay in Hoi An
With its enchanting riverside backdrop, charming history, and nearby beaches, Hoi An enthralls visitors seeking culture, nature, and memorable cuisine. By staying at one of the area’s top luxury hotels, you can fully experience Hoi An’s magic while enjoying pampering amenities, excellent service, and convenient access to all the local attractions.
Any of these highly-rated luxury hotels will provide a comfortable, indulgent base for exploring all that delightful Hoi An has to offer. Wake up to river or ocean views, take a dip in the pool, enjoy world-class dining onsite, and let the friendly staff deliver Vietnamese hospitality throughout your stay. With so many superb hotel options, you’re sure to find the right fit for your Hoi An getaway.